Thursday, October 15, 2009

Halloween...do you celebrate it?

Here is a link about Halloween.  I know that people get caught up in the excitement of trick or treating, and some churches go out and collect canned goods for the poor and needy (which I used to do years ago in Virginia, for Halloween).  However, I also know that right after Halloween is over, the flus start setting in, and kids get sick from eating so much candy. 

What I'm talking about is the pagan aspect of Halloween.  I think it's a great idea that a lot of churches offer programs for children to keep them off of the streets. 

The history of Halloween dates back 2000 years ago,  in Ireland.  Halloween is an ancient "Celtic" festival of Samhain.  They lived in Ireland, The United Kingdom, and France.  Instead of celebrating the new year on January 1, the Celts celebrated it (Samhain) November 1st.  October 31st, they believed in ghosts,  "when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future".   http://www.history.com/content/halloween/real-story-of-halloween . 

What are your beliefs about Halloween?  Do you feel it is safe for the kids?  Do you let your kids go trick or treating?  Do you go trick or treating with them?  Do you have a special CHURCH EVENT that you would like others to know about?  Just let me know about your event, and I'll be glad to post it here.  Have a safe month!

4 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Deb, Halloween has changed through the years. I used to love it--and my kids loved it. These days, kids can't go 'trick or treating' like they could years ago.

I like to see churches have "Trunk or Treat" these days along with fairs and things for kids at the church. Have you heard of Trunk or Treat??? Cars line up in the parking lot with their trunks open filled with goodies.. Kids come by and do their 'trick or treating' from the trunks of cars. It works well---and everyone knows everyone --so it's safe.

I don't have any problems with the pagan meanings. I just love it that kids (and adults) dress up and have fun on Oct. 31..

Do you remember the Soap Night and Corn Night in BSG--on the 2 nights before Halloween. We celebrated for 3 days.

Hugs,
Betsy--on my way home (on my laptop)

Deb Murphree/Alabama Politics said...

hey Betsy How is your trip going? I know you were going to your brother's memorial and then on to other places...tell George hello.

I don't remember much about BSG in the form of Halloween, because my parents didn't let us trick or treat then...it was mostly going door to door collecting canned good for the poor and needy. Tell me about the soap and corn nights?

Cherie said...

hello, ms deb. ms. betsy! This Side is still acting up so I can't post anything there, but I am happy to be commenting herea nd there whenever I get the chance. I have encountered several people who are averse to the idea of trick or treating, but my family is not. The kids get dressed in their favorite costumes and we ll hound the streets with the others and go knocking on doors. Some of the neighbors are already waiting outside - yes, in the cold - dressed in some ghoulish costumes. I have told the boys the origin of this tradition so many times. I think there's nothing wrong with having a bit of fun.

Deb Murphree/Alabama Politics said...

Hey Cherie :) My kids have dressed up for years too. A couple of years ago, my youngest son even dressed up like a woman, and my son in law did also LOL...They were quite funny. I even dressed up like a witch years ago, when I sold Tupperware. I wore a black wig...had green make up, and even the nose with a wart on it. I REALLY looked like a witch. ha ha.